Welcome to the Performing Arts Academy
a creative and collaborative program with the support of a dedicated team of tutors, educators and specialist professionals to encourage students from all ages to pursue a passion for performing arts.
In a first for regional NSW schools, students can access a complete blended experience in the core disciplines of Music, Drama, Media and Dance within the Scots All Saints College learning environment. We invite all students to discover more and join us!
Scots All Saints College Performing Arts Academy encourages energy, passion and hard work to achieve individual and team goals. Students have the opportunity to learn an instrument, sing in a choir, perform on-stage, thrive and excel in performing arts as part of everyday learning. In addition, students can choose co-curricular activities in Pipes and Drums, Highland Dancing, contemporary dance, songwriting, and technical components of stage such as lighting, sound recording and film.
Learn any instrument
Every student is invited to discover the joy of music and develop musical talents by learning any instrument, then perform with their peers or at one of our concerts. Individual music lessons offer a choice of 30 instruments from over 36 professional educators. Currently, 300 students from Preparatory to Year 2 are enrolled in individual lessons at the College.
Choirs, Ensembles and Bands
Offering the largest range of ensembles and choirs within regional NSW schools, there are currently 42 symphonic orchestras, choirs, concert and big bands, rock and pop bands, chamber music and the pipes and drums. All students have the opportunity to sing in music classes, join a stage choir and perform at local events and Eisteddfods.
There are 28 weekly allocated sessions for rock and pop bands to work with professionals in our on-campus Music Centres. Staff, including current performing and recording artists, work with students to prepare, record, produce and perform their original works and covers. A collection of our contemporary school bands perform across the region and some have even been ‘unearthed’ on radio! Each term, the Big Night Out for Senior and Middle School students encourages these ensembles and solo acts to perform for their peers. The annual Battle of the Bands night is a popular event for the whole community.
Scots All Saints College launched the Amadeus Academy in 2019 for gifted and talented students with a masterclass workshop and concert featuring internationally acclaimed Australian pianist, Aura Go.
As part of the commitment to inspire young musicians to continue to excel, the Amadeus Academy aims to take the music abilities of students to new heights as a dedicated music enrichment program to inspire our very committed musical students to focus their talents, share their passions with others and literally reach for the stars. This is an exciting program which we believe will support even greater achievements in music in regional NSW.
Elite musicians are gathered by application into the Amadeus Academy for extension and performance work. Staff work with individuals and small ensembles producing the very finest so and chamber music. The annual recitals are exceptional and display the diligence and extension available to gifted students.
Every School Term, Year 11 and 12 elective music students have the opportunity to participate in a collective and collaborative Major Project. These masterpieces showcase individual talents of each musician and combine their skills into a video performance. The teamwork, skills and capabilities of students are enhanced by their efforts as they excel with one another to build the work. The results are truly remarkable and the program encourages a high quality outcome.
Year 11 and 12 Music Compositions
Year 11 and 12 music students complete regular composition exercises employing their knowledge and musical ideas into formal structures. It is a privilege to witness an idea evolve into a work of substance and then drawn into the studio for recording.
Musical Ensembles, Theatre and Dance
Extensive music, dance, drama and performance activities are offered to engage and challenge all students. Opportunities are available to be involved in a film or in a choir, play a riff on a guitar, dance or act. Our groups can tour together throughout Australia and overseas.
Perform in a Musical or Drama Production
Students are able to audition for the annual musical and drama productions as a lead role, chorus, dance troupes or production team. These productions combine all elements of the Performing Arts Academy and everyone can be involved.
- Scots All Saints College Musical – Years 5-12 with an annual alternating Middle and Senior School alignment. In 2019, students performed Disney’s Beauty & The Beast to strong crowds at the Bathurst Memorial Entertainment Centre (BMEC) and in 2020, students will perform family favourite, Annie.
- Junior Students (K-4) audition for roles in the Junior School Musical. Everyone has a role performing, acting, singing or in stage management. In 2019, students perform Disney’s The Jungle Book.
- Drama Production is held- bi-annually for Years 5-8 then Years 9-12 to compliment the musical.
- Theatre Sports and Drama Club – Weekly on both campuses for Years 5-12 with an annual Theatre Sports Competition.
- Students dance individually, in troupes or as a HSC subject covering diverse styles.
- Weekly troupes rehearse for the Big Night Out each term, events, performances and the annual showcase.
- All Musical cast members participate in dance classes during the tenure of the show.
- Highland Dancing is offered as a co-curricular activity within the school grounds. Join a collection of troupes and staff in the traditional Scottish style.
Media and Technical Performance
We recognise that not every student wants to be on stage however, they can make a valuable contribution to any performance. This is a unique program, for Years 5 to 12 students by application, providing access to industry professionals, contemporary equipment and development opportunities.
This team has a significant role to play in the:
- Co-ordination of all PA and sound system needs of the College for performances, assemblies and functions.
- Production of annual musicals and plays including lights, sound, stage management.
- Film workshops and courses for editing and production for major events and functions.
- Years 9-12 manage the recording studio producing students’ compositions, creating the annual composition, promotional support.