Work is continuing to set up The Scots Museum in the old kitchen building behind Karalee. Extensive restoration work has been completed on this part of Karalee to make it fit for purpose. The Scots Museum curator is Mr Andrew Maher, who joined the staff of The Scots School in 1982.
The Scots Museum currently displays some items from before the foundation of Scots. There is material from The Cooerwull Academy in Lithgow which operated from 1882-1916, and was the first Presbyterian school in New South Wales. There is also currently a display of items found during recent renovation work on Karralee.
A section has been devoted to The Scots College Branch School (1942-1945), and the early days of Scots from 1946. Two cabinets currently display memorabilia from various periods in the history of Scots. There are sporting items, academic material, artworks and other items. Scotty the Bear from the Scots Junior School has been appointed as Assistant Curator. It is hoped in the near future to set up displays of material from The Scots School Pipes and Drums, the Cadet unit, items relating to former students of note, and a display of sporting items.
The collection owes much to the late Betty Ives, who began a 54 year relationship with the School in 1964 when she became Headmaster’s Secretary. Betty started to collect various items relating to the School. A display cabinet that she set up in the front foyer of Karralee is now in the Museum with all of the items she collected. Betty has her own space in the Museum that includes her old desk and typewriter. The Betty Ives Archives Centre will continue to operate, with many items being stored upstairs in the Maids’ Quarters.